The early years are really important when it comes to establishing healthy behaviours – they pave the way for a lifetime of health and wellbeing. At The Brook, we understand how important our role is in terms of encouraging and facilitating these healthy behaviours.
Our Childcare Menu
Our childcare menu changes every week and includes a range of nutritious and culturally diverse choices. We provide morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, snacks, drinks and water (which is always available and encouraged). Our menu is designed by our on-site chef to give kids the balanced nutrition they need to fuel their fun days at daycare and ensure optimal growth and development. Our menu is based on the Get Up and Grow Australian Government Guidelines and provides recommended servings of the 5 basic food groups:
- Vegetables and legumes/beans
- Grain (cereal) foods, mostly wholegrain and/or high cereal fibre varieties such as bread, cereal, rice, pasta, noodles, polenta, couscous, oats, quinoa and barley
- Lean meats and poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts and seeds, and legumes/beans
- Milk, yoghurt, cheese and/or alternatives, mostly reduced-fat (reduced-fat milk is not suitable for children under the age of two years)
Our chef and cook also consider different ages, dietary requirements, and cultural differences when designing our weekly menus:
- Infants over the age of 6 months are provided with iron-rich foods, and meals and snacks of progressing texture according to their age
- Children with allergies or dietary restrictions are provided with appropriate substitutes of foods and drinks
- Our menu includes a variety of meals from different cultures and a variety of tastes, colours, textures, and flavours.